Many companies are well known by their abbreviations when compared to the popularity of their legal names.
Here is the list of expansions of a few companies which are recognized by its initials and short names.
1. SAP : SAP stands for System Analysis and Program Development. This German software company makes enterprise software to manage business operations and customer relations.
2. DHL : DHL provides international express, air and ocean freight, road and rail transportation, contract logistics and international mail services to its customers. The company’s name DHL is derived from the last names of the then three budding entrepreneurs, Adrian Dalsey, Larry Hillblom and Robert Lynn who founded the company.
3. IBM : IBM’s full company name is International Business Machines Corporation. It is a multinational technology and consulting corporation. The company was founded in 1911 and headquartered in the United States.
4. TLC : The specialty cable channel TLC is the initials for The Learning Channel. The company also operates the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and The Science Channel, as well as other learning-themed networks
5. FIAT : The full company name of FIAT is Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino meaning Italian Automobile Factory of Turin. This company is an Italian automobile manufacturer which was founded in 1899
6. HMV : The British global entertainment retail chain, HMV’s full company name is His Master's Voice. Apart from being listed on the London Stock Exchange, the company also operates in Hong Kong and Singapore.
7. Amul : The company is based out of a small town in Gujarat called Anand. It is a daily cooperative which is now and again referred to as Anand Milk Union Limited. The Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation is India’s largest exporter of dairy products and also the largest food product marketing organization.
8. IKEA : IKEA is a Sweden-based company that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture. IKEA is an acronym made out of four letters - Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd. I is for Ingvar, the first name of the founder of IKEA stores. K is for Kamprad, the last name of the founder of IKEA stores. E is for Elmtaryd, the name of the farm where Ingvar Kamprad grew up. A is for Agunnaryd, the name of the village near Kamprad's boyhood home.
9. HTC : The Taiwanese manufacturer of of smartphones and tablets now known as HTC was founded with the name High Tech Computer Corporation. Initially a manufacturer of notebook computers, HTC began designing some of the world's first touch and wireless hand-held devices in 1998.
10. JBL : With someone like AR Rahman endorsing the brand in India, it could only be a matter of time that JBL products would find their way into the homes of music-loving Indians. The audio electronics company is owned by Harman International and JBL are the initials of the name of the company’s founder James Bullough Lansing.
11. 3M : A multinational conglomerate corporation in the United States, 3M was formerly known as Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company. Adhesives, abrasives, laminates, passive fire protection, dental products, electronic materials, medical products, car care products, electronic circuits and optical films are some of the products of the company.
12. H&M : It is known as one of the world’s popular brands for fast-fashion clothing for men, women, teenagers and children. The name of the Swedish company is Hennes & Mauritz AB but it is popularly known and operates as H&M.
13. AT&T: An American multinational telecommunications corporation and the largest provider of both mobile telephony and of fixed telephony in the United States, American Telephone and Telegraph Company is often referred to as AT&T. The company also provides broadband subscription television services.
14. ING Group: ING Group is a financial institution which offers banking, asset management, and insurance services. ING is an abbreviation for International Netherlands Group.
15. BMW: BMW is an abbreviation for Bayerische Motoren Werke. It is a German automobile, motorcycle and engine manufacturing company founded in 1917 which produces automobiles and motorcycles across all its brands. It also owns and produces the Mini marque, and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars.
16. KFC: Kentucky Fried Chicken is one of the world’s largest chain of fried chicken fast food restaurant. It is popularly known by its abbreviation KFC, across the globe. It has over 17,000 outlets in 105 countries.
17. BPL : The company commonly referred to as BPL stands for British Physical Laboratories. This Indian electronics company deals with consumer appliances, home entertainment products and health care devices. It was established in 1963, by MT P G Nambiar.
18. BASF : BASF is recognized as one of the largest diversified chemical companies in the world. The company offers products to various industries and has customers in over 200 countries. The initials BASF stands for Baden Aniline and Soda Factory.
19. ESPN : Sports related global television network, ESPN’s name is derived from Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. Some of its programs include live and recorded event telecasts, sports talk shows and other original programs.
20. LEGO : The name LEGO is an abbreviation of the two Danish words ‘leg godt’, meaning play well. The LEGO Group was founded in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen and the company provides toys, experiences and teaching materials for children in more than 130 countries.
21. CEAT : Mumbai based tyre manufacturing company, CEAT is an abbreviation for Cavi Elettrici e Affini Torino. CEAT tyres were founded in Italy by Virginio Bruni Tedeschi and the company established its manufacturing in India in 1958.