With the increase in the usage of Credit cards and Debit cards, the number of frauds committed are also on the increase.
Your card could be lost or stolen and fraudulently used; it could be copied; the details could be stolen and used via the internet, over the phone or by fax and mail order; or you could be a victim of identity fraud, where the criminal will use your personal details to apply for a credit/debit card, or to take over your credit/debit card account.
Here are some tips to protect your cards from the fraudulent persons:
1. RECEIPT OF THE CARD:
• When you receive a new card/Pin Mailer, check that the envelope containing the card /Pin Mailer does not show any signs of being opened or tampered with.
• If the card is received in a sealed condition, sign on the signature panel on the reverse immediately. If it is not in sealed condition, inform the issuing bank.
• Write down the number of your card, CVV Number /PIN Number and phone number of Customer care printed on the reverse of the card in a Diary or a document which can be accessed by you only. This will enable you to inform the issuing bank immediately in the event of theft or loss of your card.
• Since the CVV number printed at the back of the credit card is to be furnished for transactions through Internet, it is advisable to mask the CVV number to avoid misuse of the card in case of loss of the card.
• Keep all the documents of your cards that are in use in a safe place.
• If your card has expired, cut it into four pieces with a pair of regular scissors, making sure that you cut through the middle of the magnetic strip and the card numbers. Then dispose of the pieces. If you want to close the account you have to surrender the card.
• Destroy all the charge receipts of your cards and any stationery that you may not use. Tear them to pieces before throwing them into the dustbin.
2) USING THE CARD IN SHOPS /ESTABLISHMENTS:
• Take with you only the card that you are going to use.
• After making any transaction, always make sure to get back the card.
• Do not use your card in shops/establishments where you do not feel secure for some reason because of the place itself, the sales persons or just the of the day.
3) USING THE CARD IN ATMS:
While operating the ATM
• Insert the card in the Access Lock Slot (or swipe through the slot as the case may be) to gain entry into the ATM cabin.
Before gaining entry into the ATM cabin ensure that no one is inside the cabin
• Always enter the ATM cabin alone and operate; do not allow any other person to enter with /without your notice.
• Avoid seeking help from others; ATM operations are very simple and menu driven; you can do it yourself
• Insert the card in the Card Reader Slot of the ATM with the arrow marked in the card pointing towards the Card Reader Slot.
• Collect the card on its ejection as delay in collecting it may result in capturing of the card by the ATM.
• Follow the menu based instructions appearing on the screen for further operations
• Enter the PIN obtained from the Bank after ensuring that no one around can watch the PIN being keyed in.
• Use ‘Change the PIN’ option as the first operation to maintain secrecy
• Change the pin periodically through the ‘pin change’ option
• In the case of getting a printout from the ATM, destroy the same completely if not required for further reference and put in the dustbin; others may build information about your account if not properly destroyed
• In case of cash withdrawal
o collect the entire cash in the tray and count for its correctness
o collect the transaction slip and card from the respective slots
Deposit of cash/Cheques:
• Use ‘fast cash’ option to reduce your waiting time at the ATM.
In case of deposit of cash/cheques
• Use separate envelope for each deposit and seal the same
• Enclose filled in pay-in-slip with each deposit
• Deposit cash in the ATM, if the account is maintained in the same ATM branch.
• Deposit only crossed cheques
• Deposit local clearing cheques for collection in the ATM only if the account is maintained in the same ATM branch.
• Collect the receipt issued by the machine for future verification.
4) USING THE CARD THROUGH INTERNET:
• If you want to buy /or pay for any service like Telephone bill/booking railway/air tickets etc., first of all make sure that the selected site has a Secured Sockets Layer (SSL) connection.
• Usually, when you log into this kind of shopping website, you receive a notification of the SSL Certificate. If you do not receive it, the symbol of a small lock will appear at the bottom right corner of the screen. When you click lock, the certificate information will appear.
5) USING YOUR CARD OVER THE PHONE:
• Never give you card number over phone to unknown persons or telemarketers.
• If you need to make a purchase over the phone, make sure that the company from whom you want to make your purchase is widely known.
• Under no circumstances give your card number, CVV No or PIN for over-the-telephone transactions.
• Do not provide any personal information by phone or fax, such as your home or working address, account numbers,credit/debit card numbers, account balances or income related information, until you make sure that the company requesting the information is empowered to do so and that the call is really coming from the company. If the request is for entering the information via the internet, make sure the Web site complies with the required security standards.
6) SAFE KEEPING OF THE CARD:
The black magnetic stripe on the back of the CARD contains important information about the account / card and needs special handling.
• Keep the card away from heat and direct sun light.
• DO NOT keep the card in vehicles parked in sunlight.
• DO NOT bend the card.
• DO NOT place two cards with magnetic stripes together.
• DO NOT keep the card in an area where there is a continuous magnetic field.
• DO NOT leave it on top of TV set or near any electronic appliance.
• Avoid scratching the magnetic stripes.