Map of Tamil NaduTamil Nadu lies in the southernmost part of the Indian Peninsula and is bordered by the union territory of Puducherry and the South Indian states of Kerala, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh. It is bounded by the Eastern Ghats on the north, by the Nilgiri, the Anamalai Hills, and Kerala on the west, by the Bay of Bengal in the east, by the Gulf of Mannar and the Palk Strait on the southeast, and by the Indian Ocean on the south. The state shares a maritime border with the nation of Sri Lanka.
1.The world's largest solar power plant is in Kamuthi, Tamilnadu. It can generate a maximum of 648 MW.The largest solar power plant in the world is now in our backyard.
2.The state of Tamil Nadu has erected statues for the foreigners as a recognition for their contributions to Tamil language and literature.
Constanzo Beschi, an Italian missionary known to us as VIRAMAMUNIVAR
Bishop Robert Caldwell - Irish linguist, missionary and Tamil language scholar
G. U Pope, who was best known for his translations of Thirukkural and Thiruvasagam
3. Fort St George was the first English fortress in India. It currently houses the Tamil Nadu legislative assembly and other official buildings.
4. Tamilnadu has given India the most number of Presidents. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan-Ramaswamy Venkataraman-A. P. J Abdul kalam
5. Vedanthangal bird sanctuary is the oldest water bird sanctuary of India.
6. TAMIL NADU ranks first in the country in diversity of Flowering plants (Angiosperms). The state has 32% of total species of India.
7. The largest rose garden of India is Government Rose Garden, Ooty, India. The Garden has 22000 varieties of Rose.
8. All of the first 3 BharatRatna recipients were from Tamil Nadu (erstwhile MadrasPresidency) .
CV RAMAN was the first Asian and first non-white to receive any Nobel Prize in the sciences.
C. RAJAGOPALCHARI - Last Governor General of India
SARVEPALLI RADHAKRISHNAN-Second president of India.Credits: Chandrasekar Gokulanathan
9. The world's renowned mathematician, SRINIVASA RAMANUJAM was from Tamilnadu. Indian government has declared his birthday (December 22) as National Mathematics day. Credits: Srivathsan Iyengar
10. Madras(Now Chennai) was the only city in India which was attacked by the central powers of Germany, Austria and Hungary during the First world War (1914–18). The German warship SMS EMDEN targeted the Oil tankers in the Madras Harbour.Credits- Shyam Natraj
11. THIRUKKURAL:Thirukkural is one of the most translated non-religious works in the world. It has earned the title “ULAGA PODHU MARAI” (The Universal scripture).
12. Personalities who made Tamil Nadu and also whole of India proud at national and International Stage.
M.S. SUBBULAKSHMI - first musician ever to be awarded the Bharat Ratna. She is the first Indian musician to receive the Ramon Magsaysay award.
A R RAHMAN - “THE MOZART OF MADRAS”, the Oscar award winning Musician from Chennai.
KAMAL HASSAN - The four time National award winning actor and Producer. Seven of his films represented India under Best Foreign film category at the Oscars.
VISWANATHAN ANAND: Five time world chess champion and India’s First Grandmaster
SUNDAR PICHAI - Eventhough he is a U.S CITIZEN, Tamil People are very proud of him being born in a humble family of Madurai, Tamil Nadu.
NARAIN KARTHIKEYAN - India’s first formula one driver
SHIV NADAR - Founder of HCL which operates in 34 countries and employs around 1,11,000 people (approx.)
RAJNIKANTH - He was not born in Tamil Nadu, But he made Tamil people proud
13. BODHIDHARMAR was the transmitter of Chan Buddhism to China. He was the third son of a pallava king, who renounced his royalty and practiced Buddhism. According to Chinese legend, he trained the monks of Shaolin Temple that led to the creation of Shaolin Kung-fu.
14. Nobel laureates who had their origins from Tamil Nadu / Madras state
Nobel Prize for physics-Sir C V Raman-Subramanyan Chandrasekhar-
Nobel Prize for chemistry-Venkatraman Ramakrishnan.
15.For the First time in INDIA, Transgenders are now applicable for the post of Sub Inspector of POLICE at Tamil Nadu.K Prithika Yashini is the first transgender person to become a police official in India
16. Tamil Nadu is the only state covered with three seas of India (Bay of Bengal, Arabian Sea, Indian ocean)
17. Tamilnadu is the pioneer and the first state in India to introduce Mid-Day meal scheme in India. It was introduced first in Chennai and extended later to all other districts by the late chief minister Thiru K. Kamarajar.
18. Mathoor Aqueduct or hanging bridge is one of the highest and longest in South Asia. It was constructed in 1966 as a drought relief measure across river Pahrali in Nagercoil, Kanyakumari.
19. Siddha medicine originated from ancient Tamilakam. Agasthiyar was considered the first Siddha and guru of all Siddhars. National Institute of Siddha was established in chennai to promote reasearch, higher studies and global recognition for Siddha Medicine.
20. Chennai is the health capital of India and attracts about 45% of Health Tourism in the country. Chennai Hospitals treats about 150 international patients every day.
21. Chennai is the first city in India to have municipal Corporation and it has completed more than 365 years and second oldest in the world after London city.
22. Bharathanatyam is possibly the oldest classical dance tradition of India.
23. AVM Productions in chennai is the oldest surviving film studio in India.
24.College of Engineering, Guindy is one of the oldest Technical and Engineering institution of India. It was established as a school of survey in 1794 and established as a college in 1859.
25. Siruvani River water is one of the tastiest River water in the world. Siruvani is the tributary of Bhavani in coimbatore, which is inturn a tributary of river cauvery.The Siruvani story
26. PAMBAN Bridge connecting Rameshwaram Island with mainland is India’s first sea bridge (1914) and second longest sea bridge in India.